What I’m After as a Writer
No work again yesterday. So, I seized the moment.
I’m in the process of outlining my next book. The working title is “Out of Oblivion.” Themes, dialogue, clashes, escapes, love and betrayal is fragmented throughout a forest of notes that needs to be herded into my Scrivener – a word processing program for writers. The story is there and I know how it ends. Now begins the crafting of the physics of story structure, putting things in place that support reader interest.
As I gathered my copious notes scattered over different desktops my fidgety moves, scruffy face and worn jacket reminded me of Russell Crow’s depiction of John Nash in A Beautiful Mind, but not the beautiful part, the foaming at the mouth bat crap crazy part. I grinned and thought, God what am I after? Am I simply crazy and that’s all there is to this? Is it obsession or mission? And then I took a deep breath.
Fact is I know what I’m after. All that was settled but sometimes the contemplation of what I’m attempting is scary. It could be a colossal waste of precious time at fifty years old. That is why I need to know what my goal is. And, I think every writer should know exactly what he’s goal in life and story ending. If not logically—as in the book’s exact narrative and dialogue when the story ends—but at least a writer needs to sense the emotional payoff, the feelings of epic awesomeness born from that great moment when the One Ring melts in the lava of Mount Doom, or when the Death Star blows. When evil is turned back in the physical and spiritual world and hope does not feel like wishful thinking.
Make me famous and share this:
Allen G. Bagby
Allen G. Bagby
- Allen G. Bagby
- Liberalism’s Support: Stupidity, Ignorance & Evil
- My book Blood & Soul Debuts on Amazon Kindle Best Seller
- Blood & Soul is Live and Lethal on Amazon for $0.99
- The Curtains Begin to Open: July 11
- July 11 is the DAY Blood & Soul will Publish
- My New Website
- Writing Rules Redeem
- Blood & Soul on Audio
- Blood & Soul in July
- Blood & Soul – Back Cover Brainstorming
- 5 of 5 stars to The Book of Enoch by Robert Bagley III goodreads.com/review/show/19… 14 hours ago
- The enemy of my enemy is my friend. youtu.be/7N5cJyEfX3M?a 2 days ago
- On page 200 of 413 of The Unseen Realm, by Michael S. Heiser goodreads.com/user_status/sh… 3 days ago